CHRISTMAS SUCKLING PIG
Please click on the image to see enlarged version of the finished recipe.
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- Half a lb pot of redcurrent jelly (about 125ml)
- 4tbs (at least) of Port
- 2 tsp arrowrrot
- 3 tsp cold water
- 1 heaped tsp of grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, grainy or smooth (I like to use the grainy one but that certainly isn't classic French cookery)
- Remove the zest from the orange and the lemon with a potato peeler and cut it into very fine matchsticks, as long as you can achieve. Put it in a small pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Mean while squeeze the juice from both fruits and add to the jelly and the port in a small pan. Heat gently and stir until the jam has dissolved. Add the mustard and ginger.
- Slake the arrowroot in the water until it is fully dissolved and then add a few spoonfuls of the jelly mixtureto it. Stir well and then add the mixture back to the pan with thejelly. Bring back to a very gentle boil and stir until the sauce hasthickened. The sauce thickens quite a bit as it cools so don’t expect itto get very thick – this is a sauce which should be liquid rather thangelatinous – and, if you overboil it, the arrowroot loses its thickening poweraltogether!
- Once you have achieved the desiredconsistency, stir in the citrus rind and leave to cool.